Preventive care is essential to keeping your smile healthy by getting ahead of the onset, progress, and recurrence of dental diseases. At Dental Care of Spokane, we believe a preventive program is a cooperative effort by the patient, dentist, and dental team! Dental disease prevention starts at home with good oral hygiene and a balanced diet — it is then continued by the efforts of your dental team to promote, restore, and maintain your oral health.
We offer the very best preventive care and dental cleanings near Spokane, WA because we invest in continuing education and the advanced technologies that keep you healthy in-between appointments! We use precision care and high-tech imaging tools to stay on top of potential issues before they become serious problems.
Dental Care of Spokane offers the following preventive care services:
Preventive Dental Exam
During your first appointment with Spokane Dental Care, your dentist will perform a gentle, comprehensive dental exam. Regular dental check-ups with your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of digital diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss, x-rays also help determine tooth and root position!
- Oral cancer screening to check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer
- Gum disease evaluation to check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease
- Examination of tooth decay using advanced dental tools to check all tooth surfaces for decay
- Examination of existing restorations to check current fillings, dental crowns, implants, and more!
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings, or prophylaxis, are performed by our skilled Registered Dental Hygienists. Your dental cleaning in Spokane will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of tartar or calculus: Calculus is the hardened plaque that builds on the teeth after some time, and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins and poisons that inflame the gums — this inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Our team works hard to provide only the highest quality of gentle preventive care! Call us today to schedule your next dental exam.
Dental x-rays, or radiographs, are essential, preventative, diagnostic tools that provide valuable information that is not visible during a regular dental exam. At Dental Care of Spokane, our team uses this information to safely, accurately detect any hidden dental abnormalities and design an accurate treatment plan tailored to your oral health needs. Without x-rays, concerns may go undetected!
Dental x-rays may reveal the following oral health concerns:
- Dental abscesses or cysts
- Bone loss
- Cancerous and non-cancerous tumors
- Decay between the teeth
- Developmental abnormalities
- Poor tooth and root positions
- Oral health concerns inside a tooth or below the gum line
X-rays are a safe way to detect dental concerns at an early stage. Our team takes all the necessary precautions to limit patients' exposure to radiation during their x-rays, including lead apron shields to protect the body, and the most efficient film to reduce exposure time during each x-ray.
Athletic Mouth Guards
If you participate in any type of sports, you'll likely require a mouthguard! At Dental Care of Spokane, mouthguards are always custom-made using materials that are stronger and more durable than anything that can be bought over the counter.
Our athletic mouthguards are fitted to the player's exact requirements, with the added protection against injury and concussions that only a customized mouthguard can provide. Without an athletic mouthguard, you could be at risk of tooth or jaw fractures, tooth displacement, tongue injuries, and accidental tooth loss. These are all risks when playing any kind of sport. For the long-term future of your beautiful teeth, we encourage the use of an athletic mouthguard!
Mouthguards for TMJ & Sleep Apnea
Do you grind or clench your teeth while you sleep? If so, a mouthguard can protect you from the uncomfortable symptoms associated with grinding your teeth. A mouthguard can also reduce snoring and relieve some of the problems associated with obstructive sleep apnea and TMJ, including headaches, fatigue, and uneven tooth-wear!
Periodontal Treatment & Maintenance
It only takes 24 hours for plaque that is not removed from your teeth to turn into tartar! Daily hygiene habits help control plaque and tartar formation, but those hard-to-reach areas will always need special attention. At your periodontal cleaning appointment, your pocket depths will be carefully checked. The plaque and calculus that are difficult to reach in daily cleanings will be removed from above and below the gum line.
In addition to your periodontal cleaning and evaluation, your appointment will usually include an examination of your set of 3D x-rays, an evaluation of any existing restorations, an examination for tooth decay, a comprehensive oral cancer screening, and any necessary oral hygiene recommendations. We'll finish with gentle tooth polishing to remove stains and plaque!
At Dental Care of Spokane, we'll always provide all the education you need to stay healthy between appointments! Optimal oral hygiene practices and periodontal cleanings are essential to periodontal disease maintenance, overall dental health, and keeping periodontal disease under control.
Schedule Your Preventive Care Appointment Today
Prevention helps avoid the more serious, costly dental problems, and is the key to keeping your smile healthy, confident, and beautiful. Call us today to schedule your preventive dental exam today!